Thursday, January 13, 2011

Rails and <b>scaffolding</b> code « A.J. Clark

So this week I’ve spent some time developing a micro Q&A application inspired by StackOverflow and Shapado. The reason behind this is that I wanted an application that I could drop in to Heroku.com without any issues. Unfortunately I couldn’t find any software up to the job so I figured I would write my own.

The framework which I adopted for this project was Rails, naturally. This is my first time using the Rails framework but the advantages from the outset were quite clear in my mind. I see rails as a framework which allows rapid development and prototyping of an application. …until I had a conversation with a couple of friends who happen to be experienced rails developers… it went something like this:


Friend1: OMG DON'T USE SCAFFOLDING
Friend1: EVEN THE RUBY AUTHOR CRINGES WHEN HE SEES SCAFFOLDING CODE IN ACTIVE PROJECTS

Now forgive me if I have this absolutely wrong, Rails community, but to me the Scaffolding framework (dispite it’s name) is not a temporary measure, but a foundation to build real projects on top of. If Scaffolding generated code is perfectly suited to your project then why on earth would you ignore that advantage, and choose to write all of your methods from scratch – when essentially you’re wasting time doing exactly what scaffolding would deliver with one quick command.

Perhaps the scaffolding code isn’t efficient?

Friend2: NO, THE SCAFFOLDING CODE IS VERY EFFICIENT.

Oh, right then. Thanks for re-affirming that.

Me: So then... why wouldn't I use scaffolding - if it suited my needs?
Me: ...Hello?

I find it strange that the ruby / rails community would be quick to dismiss a feature which, in my mind, makes rails attractive in the first place – rapid and easy development.

Be the first to like this post.

View the original article here


Synergy Aluminium Scaffolding Tower

No comments:

Post a Comment